Pair of 4-light Victorian silver-plated candelabra

Pair of 4-light Victorian silver-plated candelabra

£5,500
£0 Shipping to

These elegant Regency style candelabra are of extremely high quality and made by George and Henry Elkington who patented the first commercial electroplating process in 1841. Most sections of these candelabra are cast and hand chased, and the branches and nozzles are detachable for easy cleaning. This design incorporates classical Roman and Greek influences, finely detailed acanthus leaves, tapering fluted columns and lattice patterns around the base.

Each candelabrum is engraved with a family crest and motto SIS JUSTUS NECTIMEAS - Be Just & Fear Not - which can be attributed to the Garvey family of Ireland.

Elkington is one of the most important names in English silver and certainly the most important in silver plate. Established by George Richards Elkington in 1836, and joined by other Elkington family, the firm revolutionised the silver industry with its electroplating technique developed and perfected by George Richards Elkington. He discovered and patented a way to deposit a layer of silver and fuse it onto the surface of a base metal. It was extremely successful and gave birth to a large new market of silver-plated tableware and a collection of royal warrants. The firm employed some of the best British and European designers of the day and produced decorative silver in a wide variety of styles. Inspired by Tiffany's experiments to imitate Japanese metalwork, Elkington was one of the first manufacturers to produce silver in a Japonaiserie style.

Dimensions:

Height 640 mm / 25 "
Diameter 380 mm / 15 "
Year

1851

Place

Birmingham

RELATED ITEMS